Said to be a variation from the Aboriginal words bean-gum, meaning 'father place'. In 1865 it was a thriving village similar to Uki today. The low-level bridge across the Tweed River was built in 1921 yet the village disappeared? The new bridge was built in 2003.
Named after farmer Harry Hatton who had a launch which ran from Byangum to Murwillumbah. This feature is also called The Lion because of its shape, with cliffs and curved ridge, while the vegetation above gives the impression of a lions mane.
Many derivations have been suggested - possibly from the Bundjalung word nuluny meaning 'digging stick', or ngulung- ngulung, a Gidabal word meaning 'self-assertive person'.
An Aboriginal name for a small water plant (like a fern) with a yellow flower and edible root. The word is also given as meaning 'small lagoon' or bandicoot' (yaguy). It has been suggested that it refers to the brand applied to the ends of first grade cedar logs destined for export to the United Kingdon - UK 1
Named after young Englishman, Joseph Stoker who selected 600 acres of land in 1881. The village is located in the middle of his former selection. The general store was formerly a railway station which had a side railway line.
Probably from the Gidabal word dum dum meaning 'pardalote' (a small finch-like bird) or from the Yugumbir word dumdumgan referring to the same species of bird.
* Source: Place Names of the Tweed and Brunswick Regions - Richmond Tweed Regional Library 1984